Green living is about finding a lifestyle which causes no permanent damage to the planet. It's about living in harmony and balance with other living inhabitants of our world. Going green these days may be easier and less expensive than one might think. There are many ways to “live green” but here are some easy and inexpensive tips you might find useful:
- Recycle: The old standard still works. This is a painless and easy way to help the planet. A glass bottle, for example, is said to take 4,000 years to decompose and blend back into the environment. By recycling we eliminate this process completely.
- Use your Dishwasher: Surprisingly, research has shown that using your dishwasher instead of washing your dishes by hand saves energy. A dishwasher uses less water than you would if you washed everything by hand. You should stay away from pre-washing your dishes in the sink, set your dishwasher on the lowest heat level, and avoid using the rinse function and automatic air dry. It may take a little longer to dry but costs you nothing and saves energy.
- Shut Down and Unplug Electronics: Turn off your computer when it’s not in use and use power strips for phones and other electronics so you can turn them all off easily. Making small changes like these in your life will reduce your energy bill.
- Tree-Free Home: Eliminate unwanted trash and save money by investing in cloth napkins. Replace paper towels with cloth towels or napkins, read books, magazines and newspaper from your local library, and reuse paper products where ever possible.
- Buy Only What You Need: Avoid unnecessary waste by purchasing only what you know you’ll use.
- Buy “Green”: Focus on buying appliances that focus on saving energy. Also if possible choose a utility company dedicated to renewable energy. Amplivox Sound Systems does a great job producing environmentally friendly solid wood lecterns as well as portable sound systems. Click here to see the video on our Environmentally Friendly Packaging Peanuts. Our signature Pinnacle Podium is made from recycled plastics as well.
- Avoid Commercial Cleaning Products: Statistics show that we dump approximately 32 million pounds of harmful toxins down the drain every year. Can you imagine what kind of damage this is doing to the environment? Believe it or not, you can make your own cleaning solution from a mixture of vinegar, salt and baking soda. It is easily absorbed into the environment and it will save you money on all those expensive household cleaners.
A Great Example of Going Green:
ISRAEL: Still reeling from the devastating forest fire that recently ravaged northern Israel, the country is gearing up for Christmas celebrations by showcasing a tree made from recycled bottles. The eco-friendly display in the port city of Haifa was built with 5,480 recycled water bottles donated by locals.
What did we miss? What do you do to help the environment?
YouTube Channel: AmpliVox Sound Systems
Amplivox Goes Green
Will it Float? AmpliVox Lectern Edition
Amplivox Environmental Efforts
Forbes.com Covers Amplivox Going Green
Amplivox Reintroduces the Greener Pinnacle Multimedia Lectern